Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving thanks

Each and every year we celebrate Thanksgiving which gives us a special time to reflect on what we are thankful for. I will frequently thank God for what he has given us because there are just too many blessings to wait and be thankful only once a year. Sam and I are particularly thankful for our families. Last year was the first year that our families combined and had Thanksgiving together on the actual day at my parents who hosted at their home. This year Sam's parents hosted a wonderful day at there home!
Sam and I used to spend the morning with his parents and then after eating Thanksgiving dinner around 1pm we would make our way over to mine who would eat around 4pm. We never got to fully relax and enjoy all the items at each meal and dessert, and felt that the day was too rushed but didn't want to miss out on one family. Then a few years ago after we got married we would spend Thanksgiving day with Sam's family and my family would then host a large Thanksgiving for everyone the Saturday after. So last year and this year have truly felt like a blessing!
We both feel so thankful that our families can come together and celebrate the holidays. It not only makes it soooo much easier for us but it is fun for everyone and very relaxing. All of us each bring a few dishes to pass (usually it ends up being everyones best).
I really enjoy what Sam's parents do as a tradition. As we're all sitting around the table we pass a dish around and drop a kernel of corn in while stating what we're thankful for. There is always someone who is brought to tears but they are tears of joy and I feel it really brings us all together even more.
Our family is growing and it feels so good that we are growing together!
I've included a few pictures but I have more to come from my mom's camera!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment