Thursday, September 9, 2010

Update - turning 6 weeks and apple picking


As much as I want to be posting all these great things about the past 6 weeks it's hard to do. Things escalated from the last post and we're dealing with some colicky symptoms and possible food allergy to milk or egg. The gassiness, fussiness, and lovely green mucusy poops have all been an issue. So I eliminated dairy from my diet a little over a week ago. Nothing seemed to change so after a week I ate some cereal with milk on Friday morning, had some creamer in my decaf coffee, and a Tbsp of cheese in my salad. The first hours of the morning Lauren seemed to be a different child - didn't scream before falling asleep, played happily on her play mat, did well with being held by her Auntie and was just... happy. During the afternoon Lauren refused to nurse. I'm not sure if this was due to the growth spurt she's currently going through, the smell/taste of my milk (I've read that they can sense an allergen in there), or just deciding to boycott me for the afternoon. Overnight she started to nurse again so my fear of her never nursing again was relieved after many prayers!!! I've decided to eliminate dairy again for another week to get a better idea of what's going on. Since we eliminated dairy, stopped the Zantac, and I started to adjust the way I was feeding her with my strong let down and milk supply I am not quite sure what her symptoms are caused from since all produce much of the same.
Other than that... the rest of everything has been going well. Over the past 2 days she started "sleeping through the night" meaning a 5 hour and 4 hour stretch between nursing at night. This has been much needed with all the hard work we've been doing during the day. She's also been sleeping a lot during the day so I think she's in the middle of another growth spurt. I weighed her on Tuesday and she had reached 10 pounds!
We're starting to see little beginnings of a smile here and there and it will be so sweet to get an intentional smile from her soon.
I can't believe it's been 6 weeks since I first held her in my arms. It's been a hard 6 weeks... but I love her so much and I know it will all be worth it in the end. She really has been a blessing to our lives.

This was taken 2 weeks ago while at the park; I love how peaceful she looks.

Lauren and her Opa

I'm 6 weeks old now!

Lauren and her cousin Jonathan (turning 1 in a few days).

The morning was rainy but the weather cleared up so nicely in the afternoon today so we decided to take Lauren on her first apple picking trip. It's a tradition Sam and I have had since before we were married and it's one we want to keep for years to come. She did well and pretty much slept the whole time. It was a beautiful afternoon and I can't wait to taste the apple crisp that those delicious apples make!

Really? This apple is as big as her head!

Our first time apple picking as a family.

I never knew what I was missing!

Grammy and grandpa came to visit and brought lunch today. It was so nice to see them and Lauren enjoyed cuddling up with grammy.


Smiling during sleep; it's so hard to capture the big ones!

1 comment:

  1. We think of you three often. Praying that things smooth out a bit.
    Uncle Carl & Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete