Wednesday, September 9, 2009
First accident...
Not to make light of the situation but I have to say that being involved as a driver in your first accident ever at age 27 isn't bad. Yesterday while driving home from work I was turning right in a yield lane when after looking right I looked left and didn't have my foot all of the way on the brake when I felt a boom! At first since I wasn't looking directly in front of me I didn't realize what happened. Then I realized that the person in front of me hadn't pulled out like I thought. So now I'm on a busy road during rush hour traffic and I have to be "that" person that usually annoys me. I was initially afraid to get out of my car so I called the police to come. When the girl who I hit got out of her car I couldn't believe she is a girl I work with every day! I was somewhat relieved but also embarrassed. So we both got out and investigated the situation...she was driving an SUV with a hitch attached to her back end so her car made it without damage and I got a dent the size of the square hitch in my front bumper. Nothing major but annoying...at least I'm the one with the damage - I'd rather it be that way if I caused it. Since the police were already called we had to wait while they filled out a report. Then...I couldn't find my insurance card! We recently changed companies and I hadn't put the new one in- so I called my insurance company (luckily we had the number) and got the policy number - lesson learned! No claim made as the damage wasn't large enough and we probably wont fix it. So then just as the police officer is directing us to leave in front of him so he could block traffic, my coworker couldn't drive. Her car DIED while we were waiting for the report - I guess she has a weak car battery and leaving the door open and her flashers going was enough. Now I felt even worse - I inconvenienced her evening and now the police had to push her car down the road to the next intersection so her dad could come and jump start her car. Sam and I wrote her a check to help cover a new car battery today as a thank you for being so forgiving. And thankfully I got out of the deal without a ticket. So all in all - not a fun way to end the work day but things could have been a lot worse!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
sorry for the accident but so glad you are ok!!love to you both!
ReplyDelete