Who would have thought that poo would be such a hot topic now days? The things that consume my life as a parent never cease to amaze me. I guess compared to the "challenges" we're bound to face in the future this shouldn't compare but for now it is difficult. To be blunt Lauren is constipated. I hear that for a baby who was strictly breastfed, starting solids can take a little adjustment...I just keep waiting for it. We started solids a little over a month ago because Lauren was having the opposite problem with pooping ("blowing out" diapers for all those mom's who know what a pain that is) thinking we'd thicken things up a little. So things just kept getting thicker.
The problem is now that I've tried to remedy it nothing seems to be helping... you would think this little girl would be having diarrhea with all the things I've been trying. I've backed off on the cereal (stopped the rice and switched to oat) to every other day, added prunes/peaches/pears/avacado, avoided banana's, apples, and cooked carrots, and even have been giving her prune & pear juice with water and Karo syrup 1-2 times a day without any difference. I work with her pediatrician who told me that I'm doing everything I can. So I ask myself why oh why isn't any of this making a difference???
Like I said... it's consuming! I want eating to be a pleasurable experience for both of us and now I feel like I'm pumping her full of sugar and sweets instead of what I wanted to do (more veggies, cereal, and meats). If she's anything like her mom she'll have a descent sweet tooth as it is. After talking again with her pediatrician today she basically suggested that I just go back to feeding her everything and to let her system adjust. Lauren doesn't seem uncomfortable but has gone 7 days between bowel movements and (I'm going to get slightly graphic here) movements appear like balls of play dough in her diaper. This just makes me sad for her and I hate that I can't help resolve the situation!
If any of you moms struggled at all with this please send any tips or advice my way. Sorry for those that would have preferred not to read this entry... it's just therapeutic for me to write it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment