I was looking up pediatric dentists in our area online and found one that offers free exams to children 6-24 months so I decided to take Lauren just to have things checked. She has had all her teeth except for her 24 month molars for a while now and you read so many places to have them checked by this age. Plus I wanted to see how she'd do with someone else looking in her mouth - I didn't have high hopes...
First of all I have to say she did amazing! They were really nice and the dentist was a female which I think really helped (Lauren still get's quite anxious around men). The hygienist had Lauren sit on my lap in the chair while she put some cartoons on for her to watch. The dentist first talked with us before I helped open Lauren's mouth so she could get a look. Everything looked good - no cavities from what she could tell and she couldn't tell that Lauren takes a pacifier either (which she only uses for sleeping anyway). I didn't realize that dentists don't really get concerned about pacifiers and finger sucking until after age 5! Our plan is to have Lauren done next month - before baby is here.
The dentist said that we probably didn't have to come back until Lauren is 3 for a cleaning and to keep doing what we're doing. At the end Lauren got a special toothbrush and kit to take home and actually started crying when we left! Not a bad first visit if you ask me!
No comments:
Post a Comment