Monday, June 4, 2012

First illness...

Poor Noah has developed his first illness at just 7 weeks old. He felt warm to me Saturday night but his temp was about 100 so I figured it was because he was covered in his car seat on a warm day. On Sunday we went to church and after that to Sam's parents to celebrate our birthday's. Noah stayed asleep in his car seat the whole time and after almost 5 hours I felt I needed to wake him up to at least eat. My initial thought was growth spurt but after he continued to feel warm I checked his temp under his arm and it was 100.5. The rule for any baby under 2 months is that they need to be checked by a doctor if the temperature is 100.4 or greater rectally. I knew that we needed to take him to the ER...
Thankfully Sam's mom kept Lauren and took her to my parents to spend the night stopping for diapers and pj's on the way!
We spent over 6 hours in the ER last night. Between blood draws, a chest x-ray, and being cath'd for urine he was not a happy camper. When all was said and done the doctor gave us the option of doing a lumbar puncture to check for meningitis but his opinion based on the lab results was that it was all viral. We opted to take Noah home and watch things over the next day or so since the highest his fever got was 100.8. This morning at about 6 I checked him and his fever was 101.7. I took him into his pediatrician today and she repeated the CBC to make sure nothing worsened. Everything confirmed a viral infection so at this point we're just watching him and making him comfortable with some Tylenol. Noah has been sleeping a lot, fussy, not nursing as well, and seems uncomfortable especially when his fever creeps up. It's a lot for a little guy at his age to deal with. We're hoping that by tomorrow the fever stays down and he becomes more comfortable. If you think of it, please pray for a quick recovery and comfort. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry, Christina! Having a sick newborn is so tough! We'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete