Friday, June 29, 2012

Lauren updates

Lauren is now 23 months (well... close enough)! Am I really going to be able to say I have a 2 year old soon??? Not to mention I have an almost 3 month old too! Each day I love them more and more; it's so hard to imagine my love growing more than it is now.
Lauren has grown so much over the past few months. Her communication has exploded and it's hard for Sam and I not to think we have a truly gifted child (maybe we do). She can easily count up to 14, knows many of her ABC's & colors, sings Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat, ABC's, Jesus Loves Me, Itsy Bitsy Spider, The B-I-B-L-E song and likes to play patty cake. She's really starting to role play and use her imagination while playing with her baby dolls and other toys. Lauren still LOVES to read books and really enjoys watching Veggie Tales, Signing Time, Dora, and Sesame Street (we do limit her TV time, though it's nice that she'll watch it when I need to get things done with Noah or otherwise). Lauren is really a girl when it comes to activity - still doesn't really climb or play roughly. She does love going to the park but her favorite thing to do is swing. Out in our yard she likes playing in her sandbox, drawing with chalk, and playing at her water table. Puzzles, coloring, and books are a favorite thing to do inside.
Her vocabulary is quite impressive these days - often putting together 4-6 word sentences. I think she really likes the fact that we can understand what she's saying and will frequently wait for us to repeat what she says so she knows we get it. She really makes us laugh with some of the things she says! Signs have become somewhat less frequent but she still uses some along with talking. I'm hoping she retains some of them. Lauren still has been practicing her German when Nana and Opa watch her. Understanding is greater than speaking for her at this point. Her most common heard words are "auto", "nuss"(nuts) and "bon bon"(candy).
As far as sleeping goes she sleeps about 11-12 hours at night and a 1 hr nap during the day. I'd love to get more than an hour break in the afternoon but she's so happy otherwise that I don't think she needs it. Bedtime is about 7-7:30 and she'll wake up sometime around 7-7:30 (though it seems to change week by week). She still loves her bath time, especially when we do bubble baths. Lauren is still not a big eater but will eat a good variety of things. She likes some really strange things for an almost 2 yr old! Favorites are cheese, crackers, eggs, yogurt covered raisins, goldfish, mac & cheese, guacamole, berries, and of course loves her milk. Some of the unusual things she likes include nuts, tuna, coffee, pickles, and salads. She'll try almost anything but if she doesn't like it she'll immediately cough, as though gagging, and then spit it out.
Being almost 2 also means that she's started to assert her will more. She'll let you know when she doesn't want to do something very quickly and will test you to see if you're going to follow through. Lauren will say "no" most often to diaper changes, coming in from being outside, going into her crib for naps/bedtime (although she has been known to ask for her crib at times), being asked to sit down to eat ; but she is easily persuaded with a distraction of some kind.
She has a huge heart. Lauren will get very concerned if someone else is upset (including when Noah is crying), loves to make people laugh, and falls apart if she knows we're upset with her. Though she's gotten a few time outs and spanks, we really don't have to discipline her very often. Lauren is a pretty good listener and loves to please. She has manners that are unusual for her age - says please, thank you,  you're welcome, I'm sorry, excuse me, and bless you quite often. Giving and getting hugs and kisses are a favorite lately and her hugs are getting really strong and affectionate. We'll also quite often hear a random "I love you". She is so sweet when she prays and now will actually say people's names while praying. She has started to take the lead before meals. God has really blessed us with such a wonderful little girl who means the world to her mommy and daddy.


No comments:

Post a Comment