Saturday, August 21, 2010

3 weeks old


Lauren is 3 weeks old today! This past week has been challenging as feedings continue to be difficult. My milk supply is definitely an issue for both of us and instead of the common problem of not making enough I am making too much. I've been reclining and feeding her from only one side per feeding but she continues to have difficulties with gas and will frequently let out a scream during sleep or throughout the day before passing what sounds like an adult form of gas from her rear. It makes us laugh but also makes me want to cry because I know it hurts her so. I could pump but supposedly pumping triggers your body to produce even more milk which I really don't need. I do pump once in the morning so Sam has a bottle to give her at night. I can easily pump out 3-4 oz from one side within 10 minutes... its just crazy.
I've started to give her Mylicon drops which seems to help it pass and did start her on Zantac as well in case any reflux is bothering her. My plan is to start taking her off the Zantac next week to see if it made any difference. I'm hoping both my milk supply and Lauren adjust in the next few weeks - otherwise I don't think I can continue this breast feeding thing. I really am just trying to hang in there for now because I know it's giving her so much immunity and other great things that formula can't give.
In other news she is changing so much. She spends more hours awake during the day looking around and focusing in on our faces. Lauren has started to spend some time on her tummy and spent a good 15 minutes with my mom and I on the floor looking at our cat and listening attentively to us talking to her yesterday. She can go at least 3 hour stretches at night between feedings now which is nice. Lauren will frequently give us the most adorable smile during sleep and will even occasionally laugh. Her favorite thing is to be walked around or sleep cuddled up in a soft blanket on her Nana or daddy. She is not very fond of bath time but does like having her hair washed and loves having her legs massaged while being lotion'd up afterwards.
Our little cutie is already growing up so fast. It really feels like just yesterday that I had her in the hospital.

 

1 comment:

  1. sweet pic with Lauren & the cat :) just my advice- DO NOT pump more -it will trigger more milk for sure and maybe try feeding on each side at each feeding but just not for as long until the supply evens out. I had the opposite problem but saw lots of lactation specialists so I heard lots of advice from them to other stoo :) Hang in- breatfeeding is hard bit worth it!! AFter all you always carry your boobs with you and later it get sso easy & quick..really it does!

    ReplyDelete