The second week has come and gone and Lauren is now over 2 weeks old. Its so hard to believe that time is passing so quickly! Everyone has said how fast it goes and they're all right. She has really started to stay awake for longer periods during the day and has been focusing more on my face. We've had some issues with feeding - I seem to be producing too much milk and it's making it hard for her to eat. She has been gulping, coughing, crying, and spitting up with feedings because it's getting to her too fast. This has started to become an issue over the past few days and at first I thought it was reflux. I had read that this condition is actually misdiagnosed as reflux quite often. I went to my breast feeding support group this morning and talked with another mom who has a 6 week old and is dealing with the same thing. The lactation consultant agrees that she thinks this is our problem since Lauren is gaining weight so rapidly and seems to have all the signs and symptoms. Lauren weighed in at 7 # 9oz at the group which is up significantly from her 7# 3 oz on Friday! I'm now starting to recline during feedings and only feed her from one side a feeding - this has seemed to help today so far. I just felt so sad that she seemed so uncomfortable during feedings.
Sam has also started to feed her a bottle of pumped milk at night which has been allowing me to sleep a little more. This has made such a difference in my mood and crazy emotions. I finally have started to feel more like myself and have been able to bond a little more with Lauren. He has been such a help during this time and has really been enjoying being a dad.
My doctor still keeps in touch regularly through text messaging and after calling her crying last Friday she suggested I consider talking to someone. So I'm going in to see a psychologist tomorrow and will still go even though I'm feeling so much better. I was just so scared that I was headed down the postpartum depression route but I'm hoping this trend of feeling better continues! I've been trying to get out of the house at least once a day and my mom is going to be with me during the day still this week to help take us out to eat, take walks, and help with Lauren so I can shower and get some things done around here.
Oh, honey, I'm sorry you've been feeling so bad. Glad you are feeling better. Sleep is everything! If you ever need to talk to someone who's been there feel free to give me a call anytime.
ReplyDelete